Thursday, March 20, 2014

A pain in the neck, and Spring???

    One of the joys of being "middle-aged", or maybe "late middle-aged",  is the appearance of new-found aches and pains.  One can go to bed feeling just fine and awake the next morning with some new irritation which sometimes leaves you incapacitated.  On other occasions a slight twist or turn develops into a real crisis.  Such was the case with me during the past couple of weeks.  Last week I awoke from a fairly good night's rest to lower back pain, accompanied by tingling and numbness in my foot.  I have had this before so I knew the best course of action is ice packs and rest. A couple of days of this and I was much better.  Monday and Tuesday this week I exercised in the morning, but didn't push myself.  However, as I was putting dinner on the table for the young Elders Tuesday evening (we feed them every Tuesday), I felt a light pop in my upper back.  Immediately it began to hurt, and as time went on it became full-out spasms, very  painful. I went to the church to teach my English class, but knew before it started that I wouldn't make it.  A nice member of the church who was at the meetinghouse, offered to drive me home;  Paul stayed to teach both mine, and his class combined.  Now, after a full day of rest and Tylenol, I am feeling much better.  Who knows what brought this on?  Perhaps it was the lifting of heavy dishes from a bottom cupboard at church on Sunday for the potluck, or the lying on the floor with the vacuum hose to clean under the fridge on Monday? (That was a site to see, I am sure!) Whatever the cause, I have spent part of the last two weeks "laid up" as they say, and none too happy about it.
    I try not to dwell too much on the weather, but given that today is the first day of spring I thought I would share a couple of photos I took this morning from our apartment.  Our branch president's wife told us recently that Quebec has three springs:  white, (because it is still snowing); brown (when the rains come and melt all that white stuff), and green (when we will really see grass and a few flowers).
 The above is taken from our sliding glass door to the street- yes, it is snowing.
 See these piles of snow outside our front door--those will one day (apparently) melt into masses of brown yukky-ness.
This is the parking lot of our complex.  This also happens to be our neighbor's truck, which Paul covets.
HAPPY SPRING!!!!!      

No comments:

Post a Comment