Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Amazing Faith

      I may have written earlier about our friend, Diane.  She has been paralyzed for the past 16-plus years due to a doctor's incompetency.  Her attitude about this is that it was a blessing; if she had not been paralyzed she would have been too busy and maybe too proud to listen to the missionaries.  She grew up in a small village here in Quebec, had no schooling, and began cleaning other people's homes when she was about twelve.  At some point she moved to Toronto to work in a bank.  While there she learned English, which she speaks fluently. (Yea, I can communicate with her!!)  She has a grown son.  Rarely, in our visits to her small apartment, has she been anything but positive and happy.
    Recently she struggled with a cough, which then developed into bronchitis. Being rather immobile except for her electric chair, she didn't improve.  Finally late one night she realized that the hospital was the only option.  I don't want to expound on my political views of socialized medicine, but suffice it to say that here, for the poor anyway, it stinks. One day she asked if I could wash her hair, because to have such a luxury costs extra money.  We have visited her nearly every day for the past 10 days. She seemed to improve a little but on Sunday she was been moved to intensive care and put on a respirator which we would deem not good news.  Before she got worse she told us that she had prayed and "told Heavenly Father that if He could take me, that would be nice.  However, if He wanted me to stay and try to help my son accept the gospel, I will stay."  What faith! Knowing Diane, and having her share her positive attitude about her life despite her difficulties has inspired me to be more appreciative and more anxious to share that gratitude with others.  We pray that she will improve but if she doesn't, I have no doubt that Heavenly Father heard her prayer and took her to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment