Sunday, February 23, 2014

Together Twenty-Four Seven

I, for one, think the media has done a number on us with Valentine's Day.  The elusive "they"  will make you feel like a failure at love if you haven't spent thousand's of dollars or oodles of time on the most fabulous gift ever dreamed of for the one you love.  Well, being on a mission with the "one  you love" is the perfect way to give the most fabulous gift ever.  I believe this because it requires such virtues as patience, understanding, and charity, and it requires this every day, every hour for the entire length of your mission.  You are never alone.  Missionary apartments, while generally nicer than those lived in by the young missionaries., are far from spacious.  This means you  probably have to be really creative to find some solitude.  When out of the apartment you are still together: at the grocery store, at appointments, getting a hair cut, etc. etc. You visit people "ensemble".
   In contemplating this togetherness we have had for the last six months, I realized I have developed a significant increase in patience, and understanding.  It is the little things that can get to you.  Here is an example:  every time we go somewhere Paul dutifully locks the car;  this is good, and responsible. He does this every single time, so why, oh why, does he always try to door handle when we return to our vehicle?   I have learned not to mention it, but I admit it has required much patience.  Another example:  Paul needs to take a pill every day about 3 p.m.  For 5 months he forgot about fifty percent of the time.  He asked me to remind him, so I set a daily reminder on my phone.  I now ask him daily, and he still forgets.  I am trying to be understanding. One more:  we always leave early enough to get to an appointment on time.  And at least half the time we have no set time of arrival.  Why must he drive as fast as he can on icy and snowy roads, making my heart race? And lastly:  because I don't speak French well enough to converse on the phone he has to do the calling.  I will remind him of a call (or sometimes an email) that needs to be made/written.  He quickly agrees.  Hours later I will ask if it has been done.  He often says "No".  He rarely offers an excuse. Irritating.  I know he has his own list of small irritations, for example,  he thinks I take an inordinate amount of time to get out of the car. (He doesn't have get his purse or other items; and that house key is in there somewhere. He just jumps out. )
   As one can see, I am still working on the virtue of charity…
   For the most part, I can honesty say that we never argue ( a few minor disagreements is all) and we genuinely like being with each other.  We have our own little routines and when involved with these we have learned to stay out of each other's way-at least as much as one can stay out of another's way in a small apartment.  It is great to set and accomplish goals together.  It is indescribable when we teach someone and feel the Sprit there.  It is fulfilling to know we are serving and working on something that is not only worthwhile but really important and we are doing it together all day, every day, for 18 months.            

1 comment:

  1. I can't help but laugh. Doesn't Dad read this blog? And doesn't outting him like this negate any virtue you're acquiring in patience? The most concerning point, however, is your insinuation that Dad has a purse… :)

    ReplyDelete