Friday, August 9, 2013

Innovative

    Here a couple of things that we have found different and probably better than at home in the U.S.  They sell milk in plastic bags, not cartons.  At first glance, this might sound really weird, but it actually is ingenious.  The sealed plastic bags fit nicely on the door of the refrigerator and you can fit triple the number in the same space.  To open, you place the bag in a smallish pitcher (easily available in the grocery stores), cut one end and then it can be poured out when you use it.  I will attach a picture.  One slight problem is that you must make sure the bag is completely inside the pitcher or the milk can come spilling out, as Dad found one morning.




    I already mentioned the motorized wheel chairs.  We believe most people use these instead of cars because they are electric and thus have less impact on the environment.  They also use bikes and roller blades.  Recycling is huge here--everything is recycled, and I even saw a large container inside the front door of a grocery store where one could bring there items.  We could learn to be better on this.



   Last night we discovered what may become the bane of my existence here-- a drive-through creamery with the best ice cream I have ever tasted!   I thought of you, Baylor, and how much you would enjoy this. The worst part is that it is only a minute away from our apartment, and since it is a drive-through and they offer sandwiches and soup as well as ice cream, we are assuming it is open even in the winter.
   Today I saw Paul using an innovative way to study the scriptures, so he wouldn't fall asleep.  As you young people may not realize, older individuals can fall asleep instantly when sitting, regardless of how much sleep they got the night before.  Here is solution to the problem:  


    Yesterday we visited with a member who was originally from France.  He is quite lonely as he is divorced and lives alone. He is older and is an artist.  He showed us some of his work, and he has some real talent.   Because he is French, Paul had little trouble conversing with him.  He talks fast so it was still difficult for me.  Then last night, we received a nice tender mercy when we went to visit a single sister who moved to the branch last month--she spoke very good English and we could visit with out restraint for 45 minutes!  

3 comments:

  1. Baylor sent me the link to your blog. I'm loving every entry. Thank you for sharing!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had bagged milk in Argentina, too. That or it came in the same containers as we would find rice or almond milk here. I didn't ever buy it because I didn't like the way milk tasted in Argentina and so only ever used powdered milk for cooking and ate drinkable yogurt on my cereal (Yum!) :) Fun to read about the great experiences you are having and getting the reminders of what the mission was like for me - Thank You!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Alberta, we'd get milk in one litre boxes - sort of like chicken broth sometimes comes in in the states - fits so easy in the frig!
    Have thoroughly enjoyed spending the morning reading your blog. I feel like you guys are our personal missionary preppers through your example and wisdom.
    I'd better brush up on my cookie baking skills!!
    Love to you both!

    ReplyDelete