Sunday, August 25, 2013

Meaningful visits and other Activities

    We spent some time on the road this week.  Tuesday we traveled to Trois Rivieres (3 rivers), a city about an hour from here, for District Teaching (the old District Meeting).  Of course we took the Elders with us and enjoyed the Subway sandwich Elder Peterson bought for them afterwards (insert smiley face here).
    Yesterday after collecting the delivering the food boxes all morning, we drove to the stake center for a stake priesthood meeting.  We took a nice little (he is really short) man with us who speaks only French.  You all know how chatty Paul is , so it was a silent 90 minute ride each way.  My companion thought I should go and read in the car rather than stay at home. Not sure I needed to, but I did have some time to relax during the two-hour meeting.  The stake center is next door to the temple, and I would have gone if there had been a session--it closes at 1 p.m. on Saturdays. Paul said the meeting was very, very inspiring.  The stake has a goal of 1000 converts in the next two years.
   
    This week was highlighted by a wonderful visit we had with a a woman who hasn't been to church for some time (I am not sure just how long).  She has had some absolutely terrible health problems which have made her life a challenge. In the process of having brain surgery, facial paralysis and diabetes, to name a few, she has fallen away.  When I hear these stories I wonder if I would be strong enough in the same circumstances?  Her conversion story is nothing less than miraculous but I don't want to write about it until I have her permission. We spent an hour or so one evening at her home.  Perhaps the best part of it for me was that she wants to practice her english, which she speaks rather well (another tender mercy form Heavenly Father).   She came to church today and was warmly welcomed by the branch members.  She had a concern about not being able to stay for the full 3 hour block, and we assured her that we would take her home whenever she felt too ill to stay.  She lives about 25 minutes from the church and another member brought her; we took her home after Sunday School, then returned to the church.
    Paul was given a new calling today--he was called as the Branch Mission Leader.  The branch clerk had some challenges in entering the calling into "the system"  because we are not officially part of the branch--our records are still in our Virginia ward. This afternoon we went to try to visit a lady who had been taught back in 2010.  Malheureusement (it means 'sadly'--but I love this word!)  she had passed away.  We then spent several hours brainstorming on how to help the branch members become more successful in their missionary work.  Here is our fabulous white board:
       

      And here is the brochure which my talented husband compiled for the members.  Inside it has lists of ways to accomplish what Elder Eyring says in the quote on the front.  If you want to know what he says in English, you can go to the September 2012 issue of the Ensign. (I would put a link but I don't have Jaclyn here to tell me how to do that). And yes, I know it is out of focus.


    That's it for my entry for this week.  It might be a little boring for some, but hey, this is a record mostly for us, so sorry....  

No comments:

Post a Comment