Saturday, August 3, 2013

Our new digs

    We spent a nice evening at the mission home in Montreal with President and Sister Patrick and 5 of their 8 children.  One daughter leaves next week for the French Lyon Mission (our old mission!)  I can't imagine trying to do all the things mission president's wives need to do as well as manage a young family, but she is doing it, and doing it well, it seems.
    While meeting with the president, we learned more of where we would be living, and serving.  We have been assigned to Victoriaville, Quebec Province, a city of about 43,000, two hours drive north east of Montreal.  There is a small branch here and one set of Elders.  I must admit that for a few minutes I was disappointed that we will separated from the other senior couples;  we really are isolated enough that we probably won't be included in any preparation day activities.  We will have to drive to Quebec City to see anything of note for Victoriaville does not have much to offer culturally. It is a clean little town surrounded by farmland.   However, I know we have work to do and hopefully can strengthen the branch so that it can eventually become a ward.  We spent one depressing afternoon wondering what we could do with our time--then we decided that we should make cookies and deliver a plate to all the members of the ward council before Sunday.  I made about 80-90 chocolate chip cookies and we spent a day or so driving around to meet people.  Not many were home (because it is summer and a Saturday)  but those we met were just as nice as could be.  We also gave a plate to one of our neighbors who moved in the day after we did.
   The apartment is very, very nice and we can't complain about that.  Everyone we have met in stores, and other places has been friendly and helpful. And so far (since Wednesday) we have only had 2 torrential rainstorms.  I was told, however, that it is not unheard of to have  -50 degree temps a few times in the winter, which I cannot even fathom.  We went on a lovely walk this evening and it was coolish, but pleasant.  Of course, it is only August 3rd.
   Paul got his wish of being completely immersed in the French language.  For me it is a huge challenge.  I do not understand more than 3 words in any conversation so I have become the silent partner- not a role I take to easily. I know it is good for me in that I will eventually learn to speak some French, but so frustrating to have someone trying to carry on a conversation with me and me just standing there like a lump.  Tomorrow at church will be an adventure....
       

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Thanks for the update - please keep this up - what a wonderful accounting of your mission. I love this!

    ReplyDelete