Monday, August 12, 2013

Poutine and other blessings

   Today we took the Elders to do their shopping and drop off their laundry.  Not sure if I wrote about this already, but there is a family who takes the laundry every Monday and does it for the young missionaries.  What a great act of service!  It is something I would never have thought of, but it saves the Elders time and money.  We then took them to the grocery store, and lunch.  Their car was impounded over a month ago because they were stopped for speeding ( only a few miles over the limit) but neither had an international driver's license.  Now they jokingly told us they are the only missionaries with an attorney.  Anyway, we provide rides for them when the weather is bad or time is an issue.  Today they asked to have us go eat at a famous little cafe where they sell Poutine. This is a dish unique to Quebec.  It consists of french fries, placed in a bowl with large chunks of soft, mild cheese, and a special gravy-like sauce poured over the top.  Paul and I ordered the "small" size to share and you can see below that it was huge--we didn't finish it.  It was quite tasty, but given the calories involved I am not sure we will eat it again.  I would prefer to enjoy my extra calories (as if I have any!) at the ice cream shop I mentioned earlier.
        ( Not sure what's up with my hair-it was windy outside and Paul's hairspray obviously works better than mine)

      Friday we attended a baptism at the branch.  It was a beautiful young woman who has been attending off and on for the last 8 years.  The branch turned out in great support, and it was a lovely event.  Afterwards  there was a pot luck (pronounced 'pote-look').  These people like to eat!  The next day was a fete called Le Ble D'Inde which literally means the 'wheat of Indian' where we had fresh corn on the cob (tons of it) along with hot dogs and fixings.  Then, yesterday, was branch conference and after the 3 hour block there was yet another pote-luck.  I brought two quiche but I don't know if they were any good because neither Paul nor I had a bite to eat until two hours later and by then only a bit of salad was left.  I decided that if I can't talk to anyone I can at least serve them by doing dishes, cleaning up, etc.  This community prides itself (almost to a fault) in being environmentally responsible which means no paper products--every dish and glass and all silverware must be washed and dried. By the end of the three days I am sure I washed or dried 400 dishes or more, but I am NOT complaining because at least I felt useful.
   Yesterday in Relief Society I nearly lost it, and by that I mean I nearly burst into tears because I could not understand anything that was being said. I was so frustrated and I allowed many negative thoughts to creep into my mind about why we were here.  And then, just at the end of the afternoon,  to reassure me, Heavenly Father prompted the stake president to ask us to talk with him privately.  He asked us about our church callings and leadership experience (Paul admitted he had been a mission president-something we had hoped to keep quiet). He then gave us the vision for this area and told us how grateful he was that we had been assigned here.  I again knew we were sent because we are needed; and I also know I must have lots to learn while here.  Now, we must figure out the "how"...

1 comment:

  1. Of course there us a reason two thoroughly prepared members were sent there. To serve (See you already knew that) and to record your experiences for the sake of others, including us. You will do a great job! Rean

    ReplyDelete