Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Guest Birthday Posts #5 & #6

Today, on Dad's birthday, we will end our guest posts with the 2 youngest of their children.  We (your 6 children, 5 son/daughter-in-laws, and 17.5 grandchildren) are truly grateful for the service you give and the example you continually set for all of us.  Thank you!

Guest Blogger: Brett

Mom and Dad,
Happy Birthday!
While I was a missionary up in the northern part of the new territories in an area called Fanling, one afternoon while on exchanges we had a small but subtle prompting to go to an area that is not very conducive to street contacting. It is a large square in the center of some apartment buildings that contained a big fountain in the center of the square. We were walking around the fountain and contacting people who were walking around the square. At one particular time we stopped someone and my companion was talking to this person and trying to have a street discussion with them. I was praying in my mind that this individual would open their heart and feel the spirit testify of the truth and the intent of our message. I remember seeing a kid about 8-10 years old (its hard to tell how old Chinese kids are because of their misleading size) out of the corner of my eye walking along the edge of the fountain. The fountain didn't have any water in it. The drain at the bottom of the fountain was about 2 feet by 1 foot and had a metal mesh sheet covering the drain. The corner of the metal mesh sheet had been bent and was pointing up into the air about a half of an inch. My companion continued to talk to the person that we stopped as the kid continually went around and around the edge of the fountain. All of a sudden the kid tripped and fell into the fountain. He landed head first on the corner of the metal mesh grate and it lanced his head. Instantly as he stood up his head began to gush with blood. My companion and I ran over to the kid and began to administer to him. As if I was reading the boy scout handbook word for word, I pulled out my handkerchief and put it on his head to try and stop the bleeding. I then told my companion to help me lay him down and elevate his legs. We were quickly surrounded by a group of people just watching what was going. We were the only people helping! After a few minutes the mother of this kid comes running up and starts screaming etc... my companion calms her down and I ask someone standing nearby to call for an ambulance. Eventually the paramedics arrive and take over for me and my companion. We then go to a nearby restroom to wash up etc before we head home.
This was an awesome experience for a lot of reasons. Some that I can think of:
1. We were in full proselyting gear helping someone
2. We were actually recognized by bystanders for the help that we were giving
3. I had an overwhelming confirmation on the bus ride home from that experience that I was in the place that I was supposed to be doing the things that I was supposed to be doing at the right time.
As I reflect on this experience, I only wish that bystanders seeing us teaching someone the eternal truths of the gospel on the street would garner such acceptance of our message as the physical help that we were able to give that little boy. Because at the end of the day we are all in need of this same emergency assistance, only spiritually.
I loved my mission. I loved my mission for the experiences that it gave me the good, bad, and the ugly. It made me appreciate the place where I was born, the family that I was born and raised in, and the blessings that I received while growing up. It also helped me to understand that all things are for our good and are given or presented to us for our benefit.



Guest Blogger: Jaclyn (in her own words - it's "short but sincere" - I'll add that it's a fabulous and most perfect way to end our birthday posts!)

One of the things I loved most about moving to North Carolina after being at BYU for so long was attending a ward where we actually had investigators. The missionaries would sit at "the pit" on campus once a week and talk to students going to and from classes and invite them to church or institute. I was able to attend several baptisms in the two years I was there and it was always so uplifting to see the faith and courage of my peers who were accepting the gospel, many of them doing so without family support. It had a great impact on my life and caused me to look more closely at the way I was living my religion. It helped me focus on making sure that I wasn't only active in the church, but active in the gospel as well. I'm so blessed to know those people.  It has been so wonderful to see many of them serve missions, get married in the temple, and take on leadership responsibilities in the church in the last few years. It is a testimony to me that the gospel of Jesus Christ changes the lives of those who embrace it for the better.



No comments:

Post a Comment